Skip to Content

Hurricane Preparedness

Mississippians are no strangers to the dangers posed by hurricanes and tropical storms. While Mississippi’s Fourth District has weathered numerous severe weather events, it is important to continue fostering a sense of preparedness and resilience. Below is a compiled list of resources available at both the state and federal levels to aid residents in times of crisis.

For immediate and life-threatening emergencies, call 911.

Preparing for a Hurricane

Radio Coverage Areas

·         Biloxi: 90.3 FM

·         Bude: 88.9FM

·         Meridian: 88.1 FM

·         Jackson: 91.3 FM

·         Miss. State: 89.9 FM

·         Greenwood: 90.9 FM

·         Oxford: 90.3FM

·         Booneville: 89.5 FM

Know your Evacuation Zone! When evacuating, be aware of downed power lines and standing water. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters as it can sweep you or your vehicle off the road and cause fatal electrical shocks from underground or downed power lines.

Harrison County Evacuation Zone Map

Hancock County Evacuation Zone Map

Jackson County Evacuation Zone Map

Recovery Resources

State Resources:

·         Mississippi Department of Transportation: 1-866-521-6368 or

·         MS Highway Patrol: 601-987-1212 or

·         Mississippi Emergency Management Agency: 1-800-222-6362 or

Federal Resources:

  • FEMA: All individuals who have had property impacted by a storm should apply for FEMA assistance. FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters. For assistance with filing a claim, you may call (800) 621-3362 or visit: prepared to provide the following information when you call:
    • A phone number and a reliable alternate in case FEMA needs you to call back;
    • Address of the damaged property;
    • Social Security Number (SSN);
    • Bank Account Information (or direct deposit information);
    • Insurance Information (if applicable);
    • Current mailing address; and
    • Pen and paper to write down your registration number

NOTEIf you disagree with FEMA's determination of eligibility or the form of assistance provided, you have the right to appeal within 60 days of the date of your notification letter. Call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) immediately to alert FEMA of your appeal. Send your appeal letter to: Appeals Officer, FEMA Individuals & Households Program, National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055.

  • Small Business Administration: The SBA is the federal government's primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses, and non-profit organizations repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, inventory, and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster. These disaster loans cover uninsured and uncompensated losses and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For disaster assistance, you may call (800) 659-2955 or visit: prepared to provide the following information when you call:
    • Contact information for all applicants;
    • Social Security Numbers (SSN) for all applicants;
    • FEMA registration number;
    • Deed or lease information;
    • Insurance information;
    • Financial information (income, account balances, and monthly expenses); and
    • Employer Identification Number (EIN) for business applicants
  • United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Food and Nutrition Service (FNS): Provides food assistance to those in need in areas affected by a disaster. This federal assistance is in addition to that provided by state and local governments.
  • Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): Provides housing assistance to homeowners and renters.
  • Department of Labor: Provides assistance in communities affected by severe storms, floods, and other disasters through Disaster Unemployment Assistance.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Disaster & Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses: Provides assistance with special tax law provisions to help taxpayers and businesses recover financially from the impact of a disaster, especially when the federal government declares their location to be a major disaster area.


As always, remember that my staff are available to assist you. You may contact my office at (228) 202- 5890 or via my Contact page. You can also follow along with my activity on Facebook and Twitter.